Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tom's Gibson SG - Here Comes the Sun

One of Tom's special guitars was a Gibson SG, created in the early 70s. It is now a "vintage" guitar.

At Tom's memorial at my house, Hayden, my nephew-in-law was allowed to play it. Hayden fell in love. He and his family came back to my home again over Christmas and again all we saw was Hayden's head bent over playing. After lots of thought and a few conversations, I gave Hayden Tom's precious guitar. We made an informal deal that we would get together in the Spring and he would play me a Beatles's song in honor of Tom.

Last weekend Hayden and his family came to my Mom's Easter brunch. Hayden still loved the guitar and told me more about the history of guitar and his experience with it than I could have hoped for. And then he played for us.

This young man is self-taught and has so much potential. As I listened all I saw was Tom and knew that it was not my idea to give Hayden the guitar.
It was Tom's.

No comments: