Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years Eve


Tom and I loved New Years Eve. We usually stayed home and I rarely made it to midnight but it was always an evening when we were together cuddling on the couch. Sometimes we would get real yummy food like cheese and special crackers from Specs and drink Champagne and Jack. Sometimes it was pizza and a movie. There was always a couch and my head in Tom's lap.

Last New Years eve we had a busy day. My mom and dad and Uncle Pat came over and Uncle Pat shined up Tom's Merc like it was brand new. Tom got tired and laid down in bed and then proceeded to entertain visitors all afternoon. David came to visit and so did Ann Ronn and Gil. Tom was so happy and lively and conversational. Then he napped until evening when Michael and Theresa came over bringing all kinds of sushi and hummus and other food highly indicative of the celebration it was.

It was a perfect evening and when they left Tom and I walked them out and looked at the Christmas lights Tommy had hung under Tom's direction. They looked beautiful. We went inside and went to bed and Tom told me how he wished the night would never end. I held him as he fell asleep.

Hours later he woke up coughing and by morning he was on his way to the ER. New Years Eve 2008 was Tom's last night at home, in our bed, with me. It was well spent.

No comments: