Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Update 3/11/08 (on 3/12)

3/11/08 was a great day. In a nutshell the surgery went great and Tom is recovering.

(Begin details)
The day started at early and we were admitted to the hospital at 6 a.m. (again "we" is really "Tom"). At 7 a.m. the nurse brought Tom his stylish gown and stockings and he signed a lot of papers. At 8 a.m. they rolled him out for an 8:15 start. Tom has a great doctor who shared Tom's taste in music so Tom brought him a Don Henley CD which they played during the operation.

At 11:30 the doctor found me in a PACKED waiting room and said everything went great. They were still in there sewing him up but Dr. Blacklock felt they had a total resection, no excessive bleeding and no complications. He was very pleased.

At 12:30 or so I was allowed a three minute visit and Tom looked great. He was drugged but very calm and peaceful.

As it turns out not only was the waiting room packed the entire hospital was. The patient rooms were all full so people from ICU could not be moved out. That means ICU is full and the recovery patients can't move out. Tom finally went into ICU at 7:30 p.m.

Once there and settled he got another great staff and when I left him at 9:30 he was sleepy and hoping for some Jello.

(end details)

I'm heading back now to catch the doctor before rounds. Your calls, text messages, and emails mean so much. I am sharing each with Tom!

Love Theresa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great news, Theresa. This blog has been a great idea - I check back to it often. I am also guessing I am going to have to give Don Henley another try. See you later this afternoon. Much love!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things went so well. :-)

Anonymous said...

Theresa and Tom -- I'm so glad the surgery went well. You both have been in my prayers and will continue to be until I am sure that all is well. Theresa, I know everyone says take care of yourself, which is virtually impossible to do while under stress, so eat junk, drink a lot, sleep when you can, take an antidepressant,and when Tom is all better, concentrate on yourself.

Again, my prayers are with you.

LYNN LEE

Texas Trail Runner said...

That is awesome news. I remember that Tom is a champ when it comes to surgery recovery. He will be out of ICU in no time. We are sending out love and prayers. We are also looking forward to our raincheck dinner....so hurry. :-)

Love,
Jen