Friday, January 2, 2009

Update 1.2.09 part 2

I just had a fascinating lesson in pneumonia from Doctor Bloom and figured if he was working at 10:30 at night I could too. I have not done my usual due diligence on this, and I have a had a bit of wine so pipe up if you know better on this stuff.

Based on the bit I know pneumonia can fall into several categories including viral, bacterial, the result of inhaling food or water, fungal, or blood clots.

Dr. Bloom does not feel Tom's is the result of food intake since Tom has not been coughing while eating or choking while drinking. He does not think it is a blood clot as that presents with pain in the chest of which Tom has none and there is no indication on the X-Ray.

It could be bacterial or viral or fungal. Dr. Bloom feels it is a fungal type called: Pneumocystis Pneumonia (PCP). Google that for more details but apparently it is a type that commonly hits those with suppressed immune systems. It is very effectively treated with IV Bactirm which is in Tom's cocktail right now.

Although PCP has a high recovery rate it also has a high recurrence rate. In immunocompromised patients (e.g. cancer patients on chemotherapy, or persons living with AIDS with a CD4+ T-cell count below 200/μl), prophylaxis with regular pentamidine inhalations or sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (co-trimoxazole or TMP-SMX) may be necessary to prevent PCP.

Ok, I know you are thinking "wow she is so smart I have no idea what that means!" Lest I burst your bubble I don't either. This is a Wikipedia quote. But I'll try and find out tomorrow. Good night.

Please keep Tom in your prayers.

Love Theresa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, in the grand scheme (a perspective the two of you have taught me to appreciate), this is fine news.

Feel better, Tom! Keep strong, both of you! We love you.