Sunday, May 3, 2009

Thoughts from Tom's mom and sister


Thoughts from Tom's mom, Claire Lawrence, emailed to me on Feb 6, 2009 and posted at his celebration.

Chris and Ward have covered their memories of their brother (which are also mine) of the earlier years, so I shall try to be very brief in the thoughts I have of Tom's adult life.

He was always a very caring and loving son. He never forgot a birthday of mine, Valentine's Day, Christmas or any other important time during the year. If he couldn't be with me I would receive a beautiful card, and/or a lovely gift and a phone call if he was within calling distance. When he would call, and not only on special occasions, but just to chat, he never failed to end our conversations by saying, "I love you, Mom." When he wanted to make me laugh, he would end them by saying, "I love you madly."

Every time I look through my home, I see a gift that he gave to me.

I was overjoyed when he found Theresa. What a wonderful person he chose to share his life with. He lived richly and wholeheartedly. He was a real fighter, and a brave person though his long illness, with a optimistic and positive outlook. His faith was very deep.

Tom was my son, but during tough times he became my "buddy." I will miss him more than I can say.

Goodbye, Tom.





Some interesting things I remember about Tom:
by Chris Lawrence Hughes (big sister)


When Tom was a baby, and at the crawling stage, he had a unique “inch
worm” kind of crawl. He would get on his hands and knees, then roll
forward, scootch his back legs back up so he was on his hands and knees
again, the roll forward again. He crawled that way for a long time.

Tom and his twin brother, Ward, communicated in a “secret twin
language” when they were very small that only they and I could
understand. I would have to translate it for the grownups.

Ward’s name for Tom for many of their early years was “Pippin”.
No one knows where that came from.

Tom discovered girls as soon as he started school and always had a
little girl friend (fortunately, he found the perfect match later in
life, Theresa). When he was in kindergarten, he told me he was
fascinated by girls’ hair, and how it was actually many different
colors when you parted it in the back. What an artist!

Always sweet and good-natured, he would always greet me with a big hug
around my knees, even when I was a mean big sister to him.

When Tom started first grade, on the first day, he was very nervous and
scared. Mom was concerned, and when the principal asked how he was
doing, Mom asked her to peek in on him in the classroom. Well, Tom was
making a face (Crossing his eyes and sticking out his tongue) at a kid
across the table when the principal looked in, and said to Mom, “Well,
Mrs. Lawrence, he seems perfectly all right.”

Tom had the lead in his first grade play, and played a spaceman. I
can’t remember anything else about it, sorry.

He was smart… always did real well in school, and always had lots of
friends.

Dad used to take Tom and Ward (and sometimes me) to the golf driving
range every Saturday morning. I don’t think those balls got hit too
far, but the orange pop afterwards was worth it!

Tom and I shared a deep interest in rock n roll when we reached
adolesence. I had guitar lessons, showed Tom a few chords, and off he
went… he played in his friend’s band for a little while, had friends
come and jam, and also ran the lights and sound later on for a
friend’s band. At one point, he bought a “pignose”, a small
amplifier that gives the guitar a “fuzz” sound. It drove Mom crazy!
Rock’n’Roll was the subject of many long, delightful conversations
between us.

When Tom was freelancing, he did a promo for the Rolling Stones, and
Keith Richards gave him his scarf. I wonder if he still has it?

I’ve always admired Tom for being able to work in a competitive field
like the media business. He got to work at a career he loved, and
excelled at it.

Tom and Theresa had a wonderful life together – getting to travel the
world, running marathons all over the country, pursuing careers they
loved. I’m very happy that Tom found someone as special as Theresa to
share his life with. Theresa, thank you for loving my brother so much,
and for taking such good care of him.

No comments: