Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tom's Birthday Gift



Tom loved art. And he really loved the Art Festival. We started going when it was on Westheimer and made it back most years. So when it landed on October 10, Tom's birthday I decided to go. Alone. Almost.

Tommy and Lisa (brother and sister-in-law) often go so I thought I might be able to catch up with them. I was not sure it would happen so steeled myself for the adventure alone. Around noon "I put on my big girl panties" as the expression goes and headed out. I drove to the museum district and parked for free, took the train into downtown, followed the crowd, paid my entrance and started walking around.

Now I'm sure no one reading this can even imagine what the big deal is. How scary is it to accomplish this trip when I have travelled over a whole bunch of the world, a lot of it alone? But I was afraid. I'm afraid a lot now and I don't understand it but it sure turns going to an art festival an act of bravery as opposed to a casual way to spend the afternoon.

I was there an hour or so and Rebecca, a friend from back in the 70s appeared. We have a serious cosmic (or karmic) relationship which I will share with any of you over a cup of coffee. Shortly after we met with Tommy and Lisa. Laughter, wine, and some fun art later I was actually having a fine time.

Late in the day, we landed in the booth of Tres Taylor. (http://www.trestaylor.com/). Mr Taylor does the most wonderful paintings on tar paper and I just fell in love with them.

From his website:

Tres Taylor was a biochemist for over 20 years. After visiting RA Miller in 1998, a Georgia folk artist, Tres believes a “paintbrush fell from the sky”. He paints about spiritual seeking, about love, Divine Love, peace, and joy. His subjects are usually monks, couples, and houses, but always the subjects are symbols of love. Tres’ medium is usually house paints and acrylics on roofing paper with putty, which enables him to draw freely, carving strong black lines.


Tres was kind, and generous and it was such a blessing to have met him. I often believe that nothing happens for a reason but encounters like this shake my resolve.

My Cosmic Drummer, which I decided to give to Tom for his birthday, hangs right inside our front door. I see it constantly.

Thanks to Rebecca, Tommy, Lisa, Tres, and Tom hanging around in the art or clouds or wine or somewhere, Tom's birthday really was a celebration.

1 comment:

mikon said...

Long time, Theresa. Wish we ran into you at the art fair. Misty and I brought Marleigh out to see the sights.

After my mom passed, it took me about a year to be around large crowds. I could barely go to the mall without feeling nervous. I'm glad you found some old friends there, though.

-Mikon