Saturday, November 14, 2009

Tom's Mercedes


Way back when, Tom came home with an old, small, Mercedes convertible. This was a heck of an impulse buy for a 6’4” 200 pound man. He really loved the car but not having a mechanical bone in his body, and having a lot of body to fit in the little car, Tom did not get to drive it as much as he would have liked.

The hard top needed two people to take off, the rag top was a heck of a trick to take down, and every time the car sat for two weeks without being driven it needed a jump or a tow. I am certain there is a Merc mechanic out there wondering how to pay for his daughter’s last year at Harvard, since we sold the car. But I get ahead of myself.

Toms’ red car had a special place in both of hearts and in our driveway. It proved to be an unwise purchase but somewhere between knowing that, and Tom’s love for the car I never could get mad at him about it. I pretended it was a BIG pot of red geraniums outside our kitchen window.

Late in December 2008, when Tom was no longer driving, my dad got the great idea to sell the car in Germany. Ironically enough there is a big demand for older Mercedes in Germany. Even when they are shipped over and fitted to meet EU standards they can be very profitable. My cousin Stefan was interested and I approached Tom. By this time Tom had not been driving for over two months and felt it was time to let go of his red dream car. He was hoping it would get a new home.

On December 31, the last full day Tom had at home, my dad and Uncle Pat came over and Uncle Pat gave that car the cleaning of its life. He detailed that car so it looked like new. Uncle Pat washed and polished and waxed and loved on that car until is shined like a mirror. I rolled Tom out in his wheelchair and when he saw the car, so red and pretty, it was the biggest smile I had seen in a while. He was so very happy that it was heading to a new, active home.

The car made it to Germany and Stefan fell in love with it. He had it completely restored from leather seats to a new soft top and lots and lots of parts and pieces in between. And as you might guess, the Merc was never sold. Stefan and his wife Carola kept it and drive on warm sunny days and down to vacations in southern Europe. Tom's spirit lives in that car, in Germany, and in the hearts of Stefan and Carola.

1 comment:

Mikon said...

Oh, man! The car looks great! I had some good memories of that car. I can remember the two of us trying to get in and out of that thing. I'm sure we must have looked like a couple of clowns in there. But Tom sure did like that car.