Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Gordon and Julia

Tom met Gordon on a job in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1997. Gordon was a freelancer and during the course of the event Tom and Gordon became quite close. Gordon, and his now wife Julia, came to Texas and stayed with us twice. They were excellent low key visits, with lots of relaxing and some fun in between. Tom and Gordon were very much the same: hard working, easy going men with great laughs and quick smiles.

With challenges on both sides of the ocean Tom and I were unable to go to Gordon and Julia's wedding and they were unable to come to Tom's service. But our bond remains strong. Gordon emailed this just a few days ago:

I have waited a while before contacting you so that you have had time to yourself, we both think of you often and hope you are keeping well.

I have made a special “Tribute to Tom Picture Frame” which is in our lounge and I would like to explain how it is made up from top left to bottom right.




1. A Dollar bill which we had left over from our last trip
2. A hand written note from Tom & Yourself when he posted the T Shirt I left behind at the Fire Museum (We always kept it on our Fridge)
3. Your Christmas message from your last card (I cut this out from the picture card bottom left)
4. Tom’s work & cell numbers for us to contact him if we needed to
5. A ticket to the Natural Science Museum from our first trip in 2002
6. Our ticket to the Livestock Rodeo Show in 2002
7. This is a picture of the crew who worked on the 2nd Cooper Cameron show in Aberdeen 1997
8. I cut this picture of a Stetson as it reminds me of Tom (It was from a postcard from the shop Tom took us to where I bought my Leather Jacket)
9. Our ticket to the baseball game “Houston Astros v Los Angeles Dodgers” in 2006
10. This is a picture of us both outside your house in 2002 (The original is still on our window sill in our lounge)
11. The Christmas Card you sent us
12. The badge I got from our visit to Houston Fire Station 82
13. The British Airways ticket stubs from our first trip in 2002
14. Your senders address that I cut out from your Christmas Card envelope


Tom and I have been blessed in so many ways, chief among them with our friends. Thank you so much for honoring Tom with this tribute.

No comments: