Monday, March 9, 2009

Tom's first guitar


On January 18, 2009 Nicole and I recorded a four minute conversation with Tom about his first guitar. It gives a lot of insight into Tom's determination to get a guitar and learn to play it.

(It also gives insight into Nicole and I: Turning on the recorder late, managing a conversation in the background, shushing a visitor that comes in, and not even knowing what Matchbox is).

But just hearing his voice and knowing now, how strong he still was mid-January makes me so very happy.


Click here to listen.

I'm still not sure about Matchbox but I found this Beatles video on YouTube and maybe it is the right song. Let me know if you think this is the first song Tom learned.

Click here to listen and watch.

New note: Check out Mikon's comment. I know know what Matchbox is :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there. It was nice to hear Tom's voice. He certainly seemed to perk up somewhat when you talked to him about music.

As for the song, Matchbox, it was originally written by Texas Bluesman Blind Lemon Jefferson. Carl Perkins made a rockabilly version of it in the 1950's (without acknowledging Mr. Jefferson. That was very common.) The Beatles recorded the song and you can hear Ringo singing lead vocals. He is known to be a huge Carl Perkins fan and covered a few other of his songs such as "Honey Don't" and "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" sung by George Harrison. So there you go - Tom and his Beatles.