Sunday, March 29, 2009

Blog Entry by Mom - 03.29.09


Dear Friends of Theresa and Tom,

With Theresa’s permission, I’d like to share a few thoughts with you: 18 years ago a friend of Theresa’s asked me, “have you met Theresa’s new friend?” In response to my surprised “no”, she said, “oh, he is so tall!”

Well, when I met Tom, I confirmed that he was indeed tall! However, over the next few years I experienced his joy and learned that Tom was not only physically tall, but that his heart and soul stood tall and big and that was what “Big Tom”, as we lovingly called him, stood for. Tom was a humble and quiet person who stood tall in any given situation. He would enter a room with a big smile and a friendly “hi”, but you could feel his presence and when he spoke, you would listen because what he said was always pleasant and good and of consequence. He was a person to learn from.

When Theresa and Tom got married, I gave a little talk along with a toast and a warm welcome to our new member of our family. I told Big Tom that along with keeping my promise to be a good mother-in-law, I would always look figuratively “up” to him. I have kept that promise and today with my eyes turned up to heaven, I say most lovingly and sincerely, “Tom, I truly will always look up to you!”

Your proud mother-in-law, Anne

No comments: