Monday, February 9, 2009

2.9.09 Account of Tom's "First 100"

Last Saturday many of Tom's wishes were granted. He was truly "home" and had a great view of the Celebration. Many of his friends and family made it to share and recall his love and continue to be inspired by his past and current life. Another of his indirect wishes was granted. Tom would have insisted that one item in particular take priority over his party. Our friend Jennifer Evans ran her first 100 miler that day. It took some pretty fast talking but I was able to convince her that Tom would way rather have her out in the woods busting her butt than drinking wine in his backyard.

Bruce, Jen's husband went to Huntsville to get her started then came back to Houston for the Memorial and then back to help Jennifer finish in sub 24 hours. A woman after my own heart (though much much faster than I am).

Here is a portion of the race notes Jennifer put together...

I have so much to say and so many people to thank. For those who do not know- I finished in the sub-24 hour time of: 23 hours and 17 minutes. It was more than I could have asked for.....


Personal Angel- Tom

I was so uplifted and encouraged by my own personal angel. I dedicated this race to Tom- He crewed for my first 50, so I knew that he would want to be there for my first 100. I was not able to attend the memorial service, so this was my way to honor him. I had my dedication sign on my back and other runners would run up (I would hear them reading the sign) then they would ask me who Tom was. I got the chance to share Tom and his wonderfulness with a lot of other runners. It was so great, so may of them would say something like "wow- he sounds like a great guy/ runner" - I was just happy that more people were able to share in his wonderful memory.

Thanks Jennifer.
Love, Theresa

No comments: