Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fundraiser update

Dear Friends,

Through donations and the silent auction Tom's Medical Fund has exceeded $35,000! I am overwhelmed by your love and generosity!

This money will be used ONLY to cover the costs of the fundraiser (estimated at less than $1500) and Tom's medical expenses. The money will not be spent on Tom's cremation, the Memorial Service, the Tom Celebration, household bills, or any other expenses of daily living (or dying). I triple promise.

By the end of 2009 I expect I will have completed all hospital and insurance arguments and payments and will donate the remaining money to a 'registered charity' researching brain cancer.

My heart breaks with gratitude. Thank you, thank you.

Love, Theresa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should do whatever you want with the money. :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree... Theresa - do with it what you want. Each of us wanted to help and felt impotent in our abilities to do so. We want you to take care of ANYTHING that needs to be taken care of. We all love you and wouldn't question your intent for a minute.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Theresa. This morning I found in my PO Box a note of thanks from you for a donation made to Tom's Medical Fund. In it was also a request that I call you and let you know how I knew Tom and so you could 'thank me personally'.

In response to both...

I didn't actually know Tom. I'm pretty sure I've never met him. But I know his family-- your family-- and I'm fairly certain that I've met you too, if only briefly. From what I've heard, I would love to have known Tom.

Your kind note of thanks is more than sufficient and wholly unnecessary. My wife, our children, and I are glad we could contribute in a way that could help with Tom's care, even if only a little bit.

We made the donation anonymously on purpose. Who we are doesn't matter as much as who you are and have been. You and Tom have handled a greater challenge than most of us know with grace and dignity, and in so doing, you've been an inspiration to us all.

So I hope it's sufficient to accept your thanks anonymously, on behalf of my own family and all your friends-- we are all around you.

With Love,
Your Friends