Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tom's First Obituary

Just so you know there is humour in all. As Tom's death became imminent My brother Michael drafted an obituary for Tom. Donna Locke edited it. Michael Klein worked on a black and white photo. I sent it to the Chronicle for a price quote without key unknown information like [date of death] and [time] and [date of service].

The price quote was about $800. As that was certainly not in the budget (and Tom would so agree) I did not respond.

This morning I get an emergency email from the Chronicle (the only way they had to reach me). The Obituary ran without approval...and without key information. Check out page B6.

I do think this is Tom's way of telling me to relax and not sweat the small stuff. He is reminding me how little control I actually have in spite of my illusions. Tom is probably cracking up. At any rate, a correct one with a photo will run tomorrow.

Love Theresa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Theresa,

We were very saddened to hear of Tom's death. Our deepest sympathy goes to you and the family. We saw the Chronicle this morning and yes Tom probably is having a good laugh. They do like to charge for those obituaries!

Gary was recalling today year's past and how you and Tom would train in the parking garage to find some sort of incline in Houston. We still have pictures of many years ago Tom and Gary on the set of yet another show.

Tom came to our aid several years ago when we lost our son, Philip. Thank you never seemed to be enough and it meant the world to our family and still does.

We keep you in our prayers Theresa... it is a journey like no other. Remember along the way deep breaths and baby steps.

With much love,
Jeanne Hazen

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. Well, now everyone can see the evolution of our efforts. I am sure Tom is giggling at us.